|The Titignano estate has ancient origins, and thanks to its strategic position, the castle, village and surrounding land have maintained their original splendour.|
In mediaeval times the Counts of Montemarte, resident in a fortified building, The Castle of Montemarte (whose ruins are still present today), on the banks of the Tiber, built other fortresses on their territory, one of these being Titignano, built by Farolfo di Montemarte in 1100.
Titignano first became known for the travertino stone, excavated and then transported by barge down the Tiber to Rome, for use in the construction of churches and buildings.
The fortress was long contended between Orvieto, which was Guelph, and Todi which was of the antagonist Ghibelline faction. In the sixteenth and seventeenth century it was transformed in a large palace with a small hamlet as a court.
Titignano castle and Salviano wines
The aristocratic castle and the surrounding rural houses, tastefully refurbished, crown the ancient town square. The receptive capacity of Titignano (Castle and Village) consists of 29 double rooms, each individually decorated.
titignano, salviano, accommodation, Arezzo, rent, toscana, villas, castle, room, italian, Siena, Italy, in tuscany, holiday, Palio di.
In the 1800 Prince Don Tomaso di Filippo Corsini bought the farm at auction. The current Marchessa - Nerina Corsini has refurbished the buildings providing guest accommodation in country castle style so that Titignano today provides a rare example of seventeenth century architecture and twentieth century comfort.
In recent years the Corsinis have renovated the Salviano estate (part of Titignano), rebuilding the cantina and planting new vineyards and have attained excellent results with red, white and "late harvest" wines.